4,337 square feet
4 Full 1 Half bathrooms
"This quintessential Chevy Chase Colonial has been lovingly preserved and thoughtfully updated and expanded to yield the perfect blend of new and old. The floor plan is everything you desire and the location is perfect on a quiet tree-lined street, yet steps to shops, restaurants, parks and schools."
QUINTESSENTIAL CHEVY CHASE
Look no further, this quintessential Chevy Chase Colonial with Tudor accents is your home sweet home. Approaching from the tree-lined street, you’ll be captivated by classic brownstone construction at the base with half timbering and stucco at the top. Built in 1926, the three-story charmer has been beautifully updated without losing its timeless appeal. From cherry blossoms out front to a wonderful backyard oasis, this beauty checks all the boxes.
Step into the foyer and bask in natural light from oversized windows. Classic hardwood floors run throughout two levels with new natural wool carpet in the attic and wool runners for the stairs and upper hallway. A large living room offers a beautiful wood-burning fireplace and two sets of French doors leading to the new front terrace. The family room has huge arched windows and 10-foot ceilings, while the dining room has triple windows and built-ins. An exquisitely remodeled open kitchen features white Caesarstone counters, custom Scandinavian-style cabinets and stainless steel appliances, including a wine cooler and recently purchased Kitchenaid fridge. French doors lead out from the study area to a phenomenal new screen porch addition with beamed ceiling and overhead fans.
Three bedrooms with overhead fans and windows are at the second level. The master suite includes a huge walk-in closet and an impeccably renovated bath featuring a white Caesarstone vanity, frameless shower and a designer chic deep oval tub. The full hallway bath has also been remodeled. A handsome office with built-ins and plantation shutters adds to the second story appeal. The attic level features a fourth bedroom, a bonus room, a sitting area, extra storage and a full bath with deep soaking tub. There’s more space to explore at the lowest level, which was gut-renovated in 2016 with a raised ceiling, new wool carpet, larger windows, rec room with built-ins, modern kitchenette, bedroom, full bath, laundry room with sink and new side-by-side washer/dryer, storage and a private walk-out.
Sublime outdoor spaces include a new front terrace with slate tiles and railings, redesigned front and backyard landscaping, flagstone walkways, a back patio and a very stylish new screened-in porch with beamed ceiling and fans, ample room for dining and relaxing, extended overhangs for rain protection and Sonos compatible speakers. With landscape lighting embellishing the new trees, plants and groundcover, this large and lush fenced-in oasis is picture perfect for entertaining.
*A full list of the home’s many upgrades is available upon request
- New sconces outside front/back
- New Pella windows in 2014 except back family room
- New window treatments throughout (wooden blinds, shutters, roller shades, etc.)
- Multiple new lighting fixtures
- Complete basement renovation in 2016 includes duct work, insulation, sump pump, dehumidifier, new washer/dryer, modern kitchenette, LED lighting, raised ceiling
- Wiring upgrades throughout the house as part of 2016 basement renovation, including new sub-panel and grounding
- Motion sensor LED lighting in many closets
- Attic fan with power on/off switch (in attic closet)
- Active radon abatement system installed new in 2014
- 2 bedroom radiators completely refurbished & repainted in 2019
- New radiator covers replaced for foyer and master bedroom; window seat & radiator cover built for stairway landing
- Chimney cap and new chimney flue installed 2015
- Large screened-porch with two ceiling fans, extra-large overhang for rain protection, grill space, Sonos compatible speakers and LED lighting
- Helical piers installed during screened porch construction for added reinforcement; structural engineering certification documents available
- Redesigned front & backyard landscaping with flagstone walkways, new fence, retaining walls, landscape lighting, and trees, plants & groundcover in 2017
- New front terrace, railings and front landscape lighting in 2018
- Security system upgrade: sensors on all first-floor and basement windows & doors, glass-break, carbon monoxide, smoke detectors and 3 cameras outside house
Heating and Cooling
- New boiler installed 2016 serves radiators in basement, first floor and 2nd floor bedrooms
- 3 Radiator Zones: Basement, 1st/2nd Floor, and back family room on first floor
- New Hot Water heater: 50 gallons, installed 2017
- Zone 1: 1 HVAC (cooling) unit for basement & first floor - installed new 2017
- Zone 2: 1 HVAC (heat and cooling) unit for bedroom & attic - installed new 2018
- Zone 3: 1 mini-split (heat and cooling) unit for back family room on first floor- installed new 2018
- New Hot Water heater: 50 gallons, installed new 2017
- Wentworth Design/Build - for basement renovation & screened porch
- Land Art Design - all landscaping and front porch/railing overhaul
- Reputable contractors for others: Pella, Vito Services, James A Wheat & Sons, Broady & Dodge HVAC, George the Plumber, Georgetown Carpet, Vintage Security
A Suburb in the City
There is no place like home, especially when it comes to this brick classic on 38th Street. Canopies of leafy trees stretch in both directions as well as the side streets. This is Washington’s favored Chevy Chase with its pristine lawns and strong community connection. You can stroll to your heart’s content and forget about the urban hustle and bustle, if you so choose. But fear not, the vibrancy of the city is still close by!
The house is situated between Connecticut Avenue to the east and Wisconsin Avenue to the west, and about a dozen blocks south of the Maryland border. In other words, you get the best of both worlds in this suburb in the city. You can walk to I’m Eddie Cano for takeout, or Comet Ping Pong for wings and live music, once social distancing is a thing of the past. Little Red Fox and the Politics and Prose bookstore are just a couple blocks away. Whole Foods is also within walking distance, while evening sojourns include Blue 44 Restaurant and Bar, Parthenon Restaurant & Chevy Chase Lounge, and Rosemary Bistro Café.
School choices are plentiful and varied, including Ben Murch Elementary and Alice Deal Middle School. The highly regarded Georgetown Day School is just three blocks south. You can indulge your equestrian pursuits at the nearby Rock Creek Park Horse Center or practice your backhand at the park’s famed Tennis Center! The Lafayette Rec Center is also close by. As for public transit, the Tenleytown-AU Metro is a mile’s distance. In other words, anything and everything is within easy reach.
Thinking of Selling Your Property?
Talk with Jeff Wilson to put this powerful resource to work for you.List with Jeff
Discover More Exclusive Trophy Homes
Click any of the images below to view more of Trophy Homes' properties.