12,000 square feet
“A living work of art blending seamlessly into the natural landscape, indoors welcomed out, outdoors invited in.”
Quiet Sophistication Created Without Limits
In the heart of a private woodland glen in the countryside of Clifton, VA, architect and builder Mark Kohler and designer Barry Dixon collaborated to build a house that would not disturb the forest but blend seamlessly with its surroundings. The owners, America Online co-founder, Ken Huntsman and his wife, Marci, wanted something that would preserve the tranquility and privacy of the site. In spite of its 12,000 square foot living space, the Huntsmans were seeking a feeling of coziness and comfort in which to raise their family and entertain friends.
"The sensibility of the Arts and Crafts Movement was right for the couple who wanted something uniquely organic on their woodland site," Dixon remembers. His interiors reflect a bespoke quality, naturally incorporating handmade materials, luxurious fabrics, custom-designed furniture and antiques from around the world that will all convey to the new owners — fully intact and immediately ready for comfortable living and world class entertaining.
Soothing colors and warm earth-tone furnishings add to the organic and natural feel everywhere:
- The family room with its soaring 20-foot-high vaulted ceiling.
- The breakfast room with its comfortable and whimsical antiques.
- The lavish and spacious kitchen designed for creating an intimate dinner for two or a repast for dozens of family and friends.
- The ethereal dining room hand-painted in muted tones of flora and fauna.
- The loggia, an informal and comfortable room, forges the link between the woods outside and the stone, wood and foliage designs within.
A striking limed-oak gothic staircase with hand carved Newell posts leads upstairs to the splendor of the master bedroom suite. Its sitting room is upholstered in “Hydrangea”, the same woodsy English fabric used in the private residence of Prince Charles. This natural motif is carried through to the bedroom on the walls, curtains and upholstery.
- A secluded loft above the bedroom continues the woodsy theme in the spacious dressing area.
- In the master bath, the floor is a patchwork of natural stone squares and rectangles, which is continued on the walls. Square, tapered columns divide his and her sinks.
- This upper level also offers three other bedrooms, two with their own hidden lofts and each with en-suite baths.
- The playroom recalls the Middle Ages with its needlepoint-backed banquette, brass nailhead trim and a loft of its own. This space could easily serve as an additional bedroom as needed.
- An elevator ties the three main living levels together without the need to walk stairs.
- Warm radiant heated floors welcome your feet throughout the home.
The landing on the lower level leads to the theater, seating as many as twenty comfortably. The lobby boasts a portable bar and dance floor. The house is controlled indoors and outdoors by a computerized system by Savant that maintains and orchestrates climate, energy and digital media. Other lower level amenities include:
- Large sitting area with full bar, refrigerator-freezer and microwave.
- Exercise room with treadmill, free weights, weight machine, and elliptical machine.
- Adjacent sauna connected to full bath.
- Basement bedroom with walk-in closet, full bath and shower.
- Secret room behind bookcase in basement bedroom.
Balmoral - Your Private Woodland Retreat
Within the confines of its thirteen acres, the property offers a private playland for any active family. Soaring trees overlook the flagstone patios surrounding the pool and spa while the pool house offers a beautifully tiled full bath, kitchen, lounge area and a sleeping loft.
- The carriage house offers a living area above the 2-car garage with work area.
- The stables contain four stalls, wash stall, hay loft plus climate-controlled tack room and bathroom.
- Two-and-a-half acres are set-aside in two separate pastures.
- A multi-sport court adjacent to pool house and main house includes tennis.
- The property is next to a semi-private golf course designed by Jack Nicholas, sided and fronted by parkland.
The Seclusion of Clifton Plus The Convenience of Fairfax County.
Unlike many communities in Fairfax County, Clifton is largely undeveloped which adds to the rural splendor of the area surrounding Balmoral Greens. Nearby dining establishments include Trattoria Villagio, Trummer's On Main, Clifton Cafe and The Main Street Pub. Paradise Springs Winery is a short drive away. Shopping includes The Colonnade at Union Mill and The Manassas Mall. In addition to the neighboring Westfields Golf Club, residents also enjoy Twin Lakes Golf Club and the Virginia Golf Center & Academy. Schools are excellent and houses of worship are abundant. Interstates and the Dulles Tech Corridor are just minutes away and Dulles International Airport is just a short drive as well.
Thinking of Selling Your Property?
Talk with Jeff Wilson to put this powerful resource to work for you.List with Jeff
Discover More Exclusive Trophy Homes
Click any of the images below to view more of Trophy Homes' properties.